Thursday 31 January 2013

Hidden Stories project

for this project we have to select an object from one of the Edinburgh Museums and Galleries, to base a short film upon. Feeling uninspired after visiting the museum of edinburgh, peoples story and the writers museum, eventually i came to the museum of childhood and found this gorgeous carousel horse, who i believe if his ribbon is anything to go by, is named Alf. 






Here are some sketches I did of him in the museum: 

I have yet to develop a proper story, but it will be centred around this horse as the primary character. I was thinking about how I could animate this - with such an intricate design it would be far too time consuming to do the entire thing hand-drawn, so in order to actually get it done I will have to adopt a different approach. I was thinking about stop motion, but I think it would be far too much work to figure out how to make a working 3d model for what I had in mind, in addition to the fact that i would have no idea what i was doing... 
Rachel suggested I look at paper cut out stop motion, like the type used in Jiri Trnka's Merry Circus

I started to design an articulated paper doll I could use to animate with. This is the first one I made to test how it works.



After some refining I have created a template for a model which I think should work:




I'm thinking about either decorating it by drawing the design digitally, or using fabrics, inks, and beads etc (or a combination of both). I will need to find a way to connect the joints so they move effectively.

other images:

  

1 comment:

  1. Dear Hannah, My younger daughter has recently begun to draw horses as anatomically as possible. I've shown her what I have of her great-grandfather's legacy, he was the foreman at Rowland Ward taxidermists and I have custody of one of his anatomical reference books (he didn't author it). Your sketches and jointed model are much easier for her to see and understand how the horse anatomy works on a general principle, and therefore to create better drawings. Please may we print a few copies off for her to experiment with at home or in school with some friends during wet-break? Regards, DG2905

    ReplyDelete